Sexual Abuse Counseling Week 6: Realize That You Are Not At Fault

 

     This was one of the most difficult aspects of what happened to me that I had to deal with. My family was devastated, and, aside from what happened to a child, a close confidant they once trusted was also lost, shattering any sense of peace. We left that town within a year after relationships fell apart, and I couldn't help but feeling like I was to blame.

     I should not have given myself so much credit. I did not choose to be victimized, and my family knew that. Every person has their own demons, and they deal with tragedy the way they are going to deal with it. Weighing oneself down with the concerns of others is a part of human nature, but internalizing it is toxic. Focus on what you can control.

     You may not be able to make the events go away, and you may not be able to change how others reacted in the past, but you can change your attitude and your path. Your family and friends will stand behind you no matter what, and, although it seems that way, what happened to one of 8 billion people will not stop the world. Try to stop letting negativity change your temperment.

     If you continue on the path of self-hatred, anger, sadness, and destruction, you are only making things worse for your family. Show them how much you love them every day. Seek to live your best life, and work to ensure that they do the same. Sometimes, it cannot be done by oneself, and professional therapy can be helpful. This may sound hackneyed, but sometimes that is for the simple reason that it is true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Catch A Predator Update: Darke County

The "Jesus Rocks" Predator Is Telling Lies Again

Every "To Catch A Predator" Ever