Sexual Abuse Counseling Week 3: The Power Of Music

     Music, in my opinion at least, is all about mood. People may have different feelings about it, but it is one of the few things that has the power to link so many human beings. My nephew, who just turned one, even does his own little dance when he hears a beat he likes. Mood is drawn from the melody and chords, for sure: jazz and classical are my go-tos for relaxation, and the raw beauty of rock never ceases to amaze me.

     However, few people realize the power lyrics have, aside from being catchy in certain songs. Lyrics are what bring a song to life. When I faced a depressive episode back in July 2018 that would last for 2 months and nearly cost me my life, I started listening to music. Two bands stand out to me. Blue October is an art rock band from Houston that is little-known aside from 2 platinum hits they had in 2006, which is a huge loss for potential listeners. However, their lyrics reflect the lead singer's transformation from serious depression and addiction to recovery, having a family, and leading a fulfilling life, which is a journey that I would like to think reflects my own. The lead singer of Linkin Park also suffered sexual abuse, became addicted to drugs and alcohol, got bullied, saw his parents divorce at a young age, and struggled to overcome these obstacles. In the end, he lost his battle, but even the sad lyrics help. I listen to sad songs to feel better. As odd as it seems, it allows one to purge their emotions and makes them feel understood.

     Different genres, different artists, different tones, and different people... it matters not. Some people can play, and playing an instrument for a few minutes or writing one's emotions in a song feels simply amazing. You don't have to, but it truly fosters an appreciation for music and provides creative relief. It doesn't matter if anyone hears it or if you're any good, but being the musician you want to be is satisfying. 

     Music is universal in its appeal and reach, and taking time to listen and create is an excellent way to process emotions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Catch A Predator Update: Darke County

The "Jesus Rocks" Predator Is Telling Lies Again

Every "To Catch A Predator" Ever